To keep your chimney in good shape, it pays to always be on the lookout for possible issues that can hamper its safety and performance. You should, for example, be especially wary of spalling brick. When overlooked, this particular issue can have some serious consequences. The premier chimney new construction company in the area, Batts’ Chimney Services, shares what every homeowner needs to know in this handy FAQs.
- What exactly is spalling brick? This refers to a process of deterioration common in the bricks used for the chimneys. Bricks are a highly porous material, and their exposure to water can cause their surface to pop out, flake and peel. Before long, the bricks will start to crumble. Spalling occurs because water or moisture has somehow found its way into the masonry. A cracked chimney crown, faulty flashing or deteriorating mortar are all possible reasons for this specific problem.
- How do you deal with spalling? Assessing the problem is the first crucial step. Turn to a trusted chimney repair company like Batt’s Chimney Services, who can perform a comprehensive checkup of your chimney system to properly and accurately determine the extent of the damage it has sustained. Depending on what we find, we’ll either tuckpoint your chimney (a good solution when moisture hasn’t yet reached the masonry) or perform a total chimney rebuild. To prevent spalling brick from reoccurring, we also recommend scheduling regular chimney inspections with us.
- What happens when spalling remains unresolved? Many things–and none of them are good. If spalling is overlooked:
- The chimney will deteriorate to the point where bits of masonry will just crumble off. Eventually, the chimney will start to cave in, and even collapse.
- Mold and mildew may soon develop, which are not only unsightly, but can also leave you vulnerable to a number of health risks.
- The structure around the chimney becomes compromised, causing damage to drywall, boards and frames.
Whether you need chimney repair or dryer vent cleaning, Batts’ Chimney Services has got you covered. We’ll make sure you can keep a safer and more comfortable home with our tried and proven chimney solutions. Call us today at (205) 956-8207 (Jefferson County) or (256) 660-1338 (Northeast Alabama) to schedule your consultation. We’d love to hear from you!